Friday, January 13, 2006

The Good with the Bad


Olympus E-500
Focal Length: 45mm
Aperture Value: f/9
Shutter Speed: 1/250 sec
ISO - 400

There are of course good and bad things when you finally decide to change cameras. First of all depending on if you change horizontally (a similar class of camera) or vertically (a differnt class) there presents different problems. So far all of my changes have been verticlal, moving from a simple point and shoot (Olympus Stylus 410) to a more complex point and shoot (Panasonic DMC FZ-5) to a Digital SLR (Olympus E-500). Each time there has been a learning curve that had to be mastered before I could fully use the camera effectively.
Currently I am facing one of those learning curves a much steeper one then before. Moving from a point and shoot to a Digital SLR is a whole different world. Mainly there is very little assistance before you take the shot. You don't get the ability to roughly see how it will turn out but rather have to rely on your knowledge of aperture value and shutter speeds. Of course you can cheat and using the fully automatic mode, but where would the fun be in that. But as with any camera you must know what it can do, what it can't do, and simply how to do what it can do. I am still very much in that stage with my new camera, and my results are marginal.
On the positive side of things a vertical change should give you better pictures, especially since I both raised my megapixels and quality of camera and lenses. There is also an intangible result, passion. Yes that's right getting a new camera gave me a new found passion for photography, not that I wasn't passionate before but I find myself wanting to take pictures all day of everything. Now maybe it's the sound of a shutter, which I believe to be one of the greatest sounds in the world, or maybe its just wanting to play with a new toy. Either way I've taken hundreds of pictures in the last 48 hours. Hopefully I will continue to have time this weekend to do the same. Well that's all for now, the rambling is over; for now.

Jason Posted by Picasa

No comments: